MINGW access from MSVS 2019

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Gabor Szots
Sign-up code: 10159

MINGW access from MSVS 2019

Post by Gabor Szots »

I have tried to compile Tunguska 1.1 in Visual Studio 2019 but I have got lots of error messages such as '__builtin_clzll': identifier not found'. Therefore I have also installed MINGW but I don't know how to make VS to use it.

If you could help out a beginner I would appreciate it.

BTW, I have put the g++ location in my path environment variable but the system seems not to find it.
T-Poppins

Re: MINGW access from MSVS 2019

Post by T-Poppins »

Sorry, Gábor, I'm afraid I can't help you much with MSVS. Last time I used it was more than 10 years ago, on a WinXP 32-bit box, and I never had it not find the MinGW compiler.

From what I can recall MinGW compiler comes as a stock option in MSVC, you just need to set it up from within VS.

Anyway, an IDE, esp. such a multi-gigabyte monster like what VS has turned into, is an overkill for just building. CodeBlocks is the only IDE I have installed and I rarely if ever use it, usually only when both MSYS2 and Cygwin fail me.

Your best bet is doing a search for the precise error msg on StackExchange. Whenever something stumps I usually find multiple discussions on the subject there.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

T-Poppins wrote:Sorry, Gábor, I'm afraid I can't help you much with MSVS. Last time I used it was more than 10 years ago, on a WinXP 32-bit box, and I never had it not find the MinGW compiler.

From what I can recall MinGW compiler comes as a stock option in MSVC, you just need to set it up from within VS.

Anyway, an IDE, esp. such a multi-gigabyte monster like what VS has turned into, is an overkill for just building. CodeBlocks is the only IDE I have installed and I rarely if ever use it, usually only when both MSYS2 and Cygwin fail me.

Your best bet is doing a search for the precise error msg on StackExchange. Whenever something stumps I usually find multiple discussions on the subject there.
Thanks, Tirsa.

I haven't yet been able to set it up from within VS, and searching the web hasn't yet provided me with an answer. I'm going to investigate further although I find it weird that such a monster as VS is not able to incorporate MINGW with just a couple of mouse clicks.
dejan

Post by dejan »

I recommend installing MSYS2 ( https://www.msys2.org/ ) which brings POSIX environment to Windows with BASH, 32bit and 64bit toolchain (MinGW 32 and 64).