New engine: Tcheran

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
jgilchrist
Sign-up code: 10159

Re: New engine: Tcheran

Post by jgilchrist »

v2.2 of Tcheran was released today with a couple of bug fixes for issues which caused the en passant target to be forgotten during search. This was pointed out during the 107th Amateur competition being run at the moment, which pushed me to release early.

There's some other refactoring included in the release, but nothing that gains strength. Elo gains are almost entirely a result of the bug fixes and are:

Code: Select all

Elo   | 23.11 +- 9.18
Conf  | 8.0+0.08s Threads=1 Hash=16MB
Games | N: 4096 W: 1655 L: 1383 D: 1058

Code: Select all

Elo   | 24.81 +- 17.94
Conf  | 60.0+0.60s Threads=1 Hash=128MB
Games | N: 1024 W: 397 L: 324 D: 303
https://github.com/jgilchrist/tcheran/releases/tag/v2.2
https://github.com/jgilchrist/tcheran/b ... ELOG.md#22
Andrew Matthews

Post by Andrew Matthews »

Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:43 pm What does strategy do, does it make sense to change it and how to do it?

Is there a way to disable logging? That file has already grown to 25 MB.
Hey Gabor, one trick I've used in the past to handle similar situations where I wasn't lucky enough to have the author make a change :)

Here is the trick: before running I just create a blank file with the log name (zappa.log for example), then modify permissions to make it read only, since the file name exists, the engine can't write to the file, but that permission shouldn't affect engine playing.

Let me know if that works!
jgilchrist

Post by jgilchrist »

Andrew Matthews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm Hey Gabor, one trick I've used in the past to handle similar situations where I wasn't lucky enough to have the author make a change :)

Here is the trick: before running I just create a blank file with the log name (zappa.log for example), then modify permissions to make it read only, since the file name exists, the engine can't write to the file, but that permission shouldn't affect engine playing.

Nice trick Andrew - for Tcheran specifically it shouldn't be required since logging was disabled by default (except for fatal crashes) back in v1.1 (https://github.com/jgilchrist/tcheran/b ... ELOG.md#11).

May well be useful for other engines though!
Andrew Matthews

Agreed 100%, it was just unfortunate that I saw that comment in your engines thread, the solution is indeed obsolete and not required for Tcheran, but just thought a good place to leave a solution id found many moons a go, as it should hold true for other places where we weren't lucky enough to have an option from authors to disable the log.

I just also want to say thank you for taking these quality of life feature requests from us and incorporating them in your creation!
Ray

Post by Ray »

Andrew Matthews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm Here is the trick: before running I just create a blank file with the log name (zappa.log for example), then modify permissions to make it read only, since the file name exists, the engine can't write to the file, but that permission shouldn't affect engine playing.
Unless of course the engine crashes because it can't write to the file :)
Andrew Matthews

Ray wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:37 pm
Andrew Matthews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm Here is the trick: before running I just create a blank file with the log name (zappa.log for example), then modify permissions to make it read only, since the file name exists, the engine can't write to the file, but that permission shouldn't affect engine playing.
Unless of course the engine crashes because it can't write to the file :)
:D :D yeah, possible for sure, thankfully where I'd tried it worked just fine, good call out Ray!
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Andrew Matthews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm
Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:43 pm What does strategy do, does it make sense to change it and how to do it?

Is there a way to disable logging? That file has already grown to 25 MB.
Hey Gabor, one trick I've used in the past to handle similar situations where I wasn't lucky enough to have the author make a change :)

Thanks Andrew, good idea. Not needed here any more but useful for other engines e.g. Beaches.